Sunday, September 03, 2006

Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez

I picked up a graphic novel again tonight thinking I would get something a little lighter. When will I learn. Graphic novels aren't just for kids anymore.

I really liked this one. What can I say, I like the freaky, weird ones. Miguel wakes from his self-induced coma and moves through his days so slowly that others quickly start calling him Sloth (also the name of his band). When he and his girlfriend Lita start to investigate the lemon orchard and the urban legend about the Goatman things start to get strange. In the middle of the book, everyone suddenly switches places as Lita is now emerging from her self-induced coma. Told you it was freaky.

This is from the Love And Rockets creator and I think it is some of his best work. I probably won't nominate it because I think there are some other works that are more complex but this was a highly enjoyable reading experience for someone looking for something a little different.

No comments: