Monday, October 29, 2007

Nixon and Mao: The Week That Changed the World by Margaret MacMillan

Well it is official. My electricity is extremely messed up and for the rest of eternity no one but Randy is allowed to touch it. Seriously. Randy has specifically banned anyone (especially my Dad) from messing with my bad wiring who isn't a trained electrician because he doesn't want my loved ones to get electrocuted (Hear that Dad? I told you so.). He said it is lucky the house hasn't burned down with me in it. In spite of this, I love Randy because he has saved me from having to have my house completely rewired. Did I mention I love Randy?

OK, on to the book. One of the nicest things about being on this book award committee is that I am always reading books in areas where I wouldn't normally venture. For example, I am not a huge fan of history. There are a few very specific times and places that interest me intensely (Ancient Egypt, Victorian and Regency England, to name a few) but the Nixon era is not one of them. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this book about the week that Nixon went to China to meet with Mao for the first time.

They were both complex, intense, flawed men but, even with all of their huge egos, they managed to see how beneficial (and how historically significant) it would be for them to meet and open relations between the US and China and they worked extremely hard to make that vision a reality. Highly recommended to those history buffs out there.

No comments: