Thursday, December 13, 2007

Terry Pratchett

In my non-Notable reading years I am a bit of an SF geek. I particularly like Space Opera, cyber-punk and anything that has humor. One of my favorites is Terry Pratchett. For those of us who are fans, this is very sad news....taken from http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html If you haven't read anything by him, I strongly encourage you to try one of his Discworld books.

Folks,

I would have liked to keep this one quiet for a little while, but because of upcoming conventions and of course the need to keep my publishers informed, it seems to me unfair to withhold the news. I have been diagnosed with a very rare form of early onset Alzheimer's, which lay behind this year's phantom "stroke".

We are taking it fairly philosophically down here and possibly with a mild optimism. For now work is continuing on the completion of Nation and the basic notes are already being laid down for Unseen Academicals. All other things being equal, I expect to meet most current and, as far as possible, future commitments but will discuss things with the various organisers. Frankly, I would prefer it if people kept things cheerful, because I think there's time for at least a few more books yet :o)

Terry Pratchett

PS I would just like to draw attention to everyone reading the above that this should be interpreted as 'I am not dead'. I will, of course, be dead at some future point, as will everybody else. For me, this maybe further off than you think - it's too soon to tell.I know it's a very human thing to say "Is there anything I can do", but in this case I would only entertain offers from very high-end experts in brain chemistry.

5 comments:

Kanga said...

Well, with all the work being done in that field these days, he might be able to benefit from new therapies. Hope so. I have friends who are big fans. He's one I have not gotten to yet.

A Librarian said...

He does that world building in a humorous way type of SF. I didn't love the first one I read but a friend pushed me to read another and now I'm a fan.

Xavier Onassis said...

"I particularly like Space Opera"

Have you read any Peter F. Hamilton?

A Librarian said...

No I haven't. I will add him to my giant post award reading stack in the corner.

Thanks....I think:)

Xavier Onassis said...

I would suggest starting with Pandora's Star.

When you get the time.

A good space opera might be just the thing to help cleanse the mental palate after absorbing so much Literature.