Friday, April 09, 2010

My week in Books and Media

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)Soulless by Gail Carriger - I loved this novel.  The Victorian era is great for creating women characters who, with their British sensibilities and self confidence in their ability to handle everything life throws at them, barrel through life moving obstacles and people out of their way with their trusty parasol. Throw some vampires and werewolves into this alternate reality setting and Alexia, a heroine whose lack of soul makes her utterly immune to the undead and you have the makings of a great story. This was a very inventive tale and the main character reminded me of one of my favorite mystery heroines, Amelia Peabody (series written by Elizabeth Peters.) I have now ordered book #2 in order to continue my journey with Alexia.

Pieces of Sky by Kiki Warner - I actually enjoyed this one quite a bit and felt like the author did a good job evoking emotion and building a solid romance. However, it did, at times, feel like there was too much going on. Not only was she running from the evil brother-in-law, he was in the middle of a blood feud with the man who massacred half his family, the ranch burned down, the dog died.... Well, you get the idea.

First Drop of Crimson by Jeaniene Frost - Good, popular basic premise of a woman in danger with a "good" vampire to the rescue, this was a serviceable romance but a bit disjointed.  The author is at the start of a new series a new series and it shows.

The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine - This story of a woman and her two daughters living in gentile poverty in a New York suburb started off really well but gradually lost steam as the characters became more and more self-pitying.  I think this was meant to be a Jane Austin spinoff but it had none of the sparkling wit of the original.

The Queen's Governess by Karen Harper - This one is quite good if you like historical novels. The main character is a lady-in-waiting for Anne Boleyn and is trusted enough to eventually become the governess for Queen Elizabeth (before she becomes queen, of course.)  This is based on the life of Catherine "Kat" Ashley and covers the death of Anne Boleyn through Kat's death.

The Golden SeasonThe Golden Season by Connie Brockway - I believe I said before that I really like romance novels that have characters I would like to know in real life.  Even without the fabulously rich part, the two main characters in this novel are really wonderful people. They are genuinely kind, caring people who rescue family members from bad circumstances at great personal cost to themselves because it is the right thing to do.  This is an A+ novel.

The Most Intimate Place by Rosemary Furber - I don't think I have a handle on this novel yet and may have to hold off talking about it until next week. By then I may have made up my mind what I think of it....or possibly not.

DVD's:

2012 - I think I can recommend you all pass on this particular movie unless you really have nothing else AT ALL to do.  I like the apocalypse film genre but this one did nothing for me.

No comments: