Friday, August 18, 2006

Now Is The Hour: A Novel by Tom Spanbauer

I am not sure why but this is my third coming out novel in a row. It must be a year for literary novels about the trials and traumas of being gay in contemporary America. The coming out story is quite muted in this novel and instead this novel is positioned more as a coming of age novel. For much of the book the main character has a girlfriend and both are quite puzzled by the lack of sexual experimentation.

More striking is the fact that all three of the novel I have read lately have featured disfunctional families, although Grief was much more muted than this latest story. The father is a bigoted, angry man whose harshness is exacerbated by the fact that his wife is consumed by Catholic guilt. This was an interesting novel but is not on my best of the year list.

Tomorrow I will try to post a picture of my lovely new backsplash. I am so impressed with myself right now.

No comments: