Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Robert Asprin

I had been meaning to post about this a couple of weeks ago but have been so busy trying to read my ever expanding list of nominees/suggestions that I haven't had a spare moment to blog. I am still a Twittering fool in part because I can do that on my phone while standing in line at the grocery store and in part, because it is addictive. Right now I am reading a 811 page book about the Mitfords. Next up, the positively tiny 500 pager about Picasso.

Anyway, when I am not reading literary fiction and non-fiction for a book award, I am reading a mixture of mystery, romance, westerns and anything else you can think of, including Science Fiction. My favorite SF are space operas and humorous SF and fantasy. One of my favorite humorous authors was Robert Asprin, who passed away on May 22, 2008. This means that there will be no more Myth Adventures which makes me very sad indeed.

This is a light frothy fun series with a wanna be magician/thief named Skeeve, a demon from Perv named Aahz. Now, anything with a character named Perv is bound to be good but truthfully, the main attraction for me was the clever banter and lord knows, I am a sucker for clever banter. After the June award meeting I may have to take a little break and finish off the last few (or possibly re-read the entire series) to cleanse the palette for my next round of weighty tomes.

3 comments:

Nightmare said...

SHIT! I hadn't heard that until right now! I have read almost everything he ever wrote! I'll miss that humor

Anonymous said...

Yeah I hadn't heard either. I loved those books, heck I read my friends copies of the first 4 (or so) several times. Sux...

Kanga said...

Robert Asprin was also a leading figure in the early days of the Society for Creative Anachronism, back around the time I was first in the group. Founded a little sub-group called the Dark Horde. Never met the man, though.