Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Dead Father's Club

I had to really struggle to keep reading this one. It is about a boy whose father is killed. He reappears as a ghost to warn the son that the family is in danger because the uncle has killed him and wants to marry the boy's mother. Sound familiar to anyone? Anyway, the perspective of the young boy doesn't work as an adult novel. It reads more like a teen novel with a too young protagonist. I didn't hate the book but I couldn't keep my attention from wandering. I have read a fair number of teen novels and usually they are fast paced so the teen feel wasn't the problem. Something about the way the author used language or the pacing felt off to me. Other reviewers loved it though so I may put it aside for a while and try again later. My timing may be off on this one.

No comments: