Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Family Daughter and The Weather Makers

This week I read A Family Daughter : A Novel by Maile Meloy and The Weather Makers : How Man Is Changing the Climate and What It Means for Life on Earth by Tim Flannery. While I appreciated the spare clean storytelling style of Maile Meloy I wasn't wowed by the novel. After I put it down I didn't think about it again but that could have been because of the next book I picked up.

I ended up getting so worked up about The Weather Makers that I ran around telling co-workers, fellow commuters and complete strangers that we are bad bad people who are killing the planet with CO2 emissions. I ended up going to websites to do check out the latest research and looked up ways that I could make my house more environmentally friendly. This was a clearly written and easy to read (although alarming) book and I wish that everyone would read it and become advocates for the environment not to mention agents of change.

No comments: