Friday, January 25, 2008

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian

I have been reading lots of "fun" books during my little break from the ALA Notable Book Council book award committee. Next on the list is a book that a friend of mine has been raving about.

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie is a Young Adult novel based on the author's own experiences and according to the reviews, is a heart-breaking, funny and beautifully written novel. It was also on the Best Books for Young Adults award list this year. (If you aren't a librarian, you might not know this but this award is a VERY big deal in Young Adult book award circles). I attended a dinner last year in which he was a guest author. He was absolutely charming and his newest novel is sitting on my shelf at home, nicely signed and even decorated with some author artwork.

If you haven't read any Young Adult literature in a while, ask your friendly librarian for a recommendation. There are some wonderful YA novels out there.

1 comment:

Well Hell Michelle said...

Thanks for posting this! I heard him talk on NPR but I forgot the name of his book. Now I can go check it out :)